April 20, 2011

the BIG day.

John and I have officially been married for ELEVEN DAYS!  haha.  That seems like such a joke compared to the lady I met in Utah who was going on 52 years with her hubby... but we'll get there, eventually.

Our wedding was ah-maz-ing!  I loved every minute of the day [except maybe waking up at 7 to start getting ready].  My fabulously pregnant friend Rachel came over bright and early - and against her doctor's strict bed rest orders - to do my hair.  And my gorgeously talented friend Jaime came over to do my make-up.  I've known both these girlies since forever and I am SOOO grateful for them.  I'm not the greatest when it comes to having my hair and make-up done, but these girls are so great and know me so well that I didn't have to worry about coming out looking like a completely different person!  And the result was fabulous, if I do say so myself!

After all the prep work was done, John and I drove out to the temple with my mom and Grandma Hazel and started going through all the paperwork to make sure we were all set to be married.  The lady helping us was very impressed with how we had everything all organized and ready.  She said that another couple had forgotten to bring their marriage license and some other documents to the temple that morning and so things were a little crazy for them - yikes!

But, their poor planning worked out for us in the end!  That couple ended up being right ahead of us to be married by the same sealer, so we were about 15 minutes behind schedule.  While we were waiting John and I had the opportunity to finish the last two chapters of the Book of Mormon.  We'd been reading it together throughout our engagement and really wanted to finish before we were married, and we did!  With about two minutes to spare!!  So - I'm sorry if anyone was a little upset by the time delay for our ceremony - but it really was a blessing-in-disguise for us!

After the sealing I went down to the bride's dressing room and put on my amazing dress.  I love that dress!  I'm kind of bummed I don't have another reason to wear it  :(  And Rachel was there to help re-do my hair.  [My hair hates being curled.  It tends to fall straight about 25 minutes after being done, necessitating having Rachel pretty much on-call all day].  After I was all dolled-up it was time to take pictures outside the temple!  We had a friend from BYU-I come down and shoot our wedding.  It was so nice actually knowing the photographer, Kristopher Orr [no relation!].  And he brought my good friend Blake along to assist!  I was soooo glad that Blakey could be there! 

Right before John and I stepped out of the temple, the rain cleared up and there was a beautiful cloud-cover.  PERFECT for taking pictures in the middle of the day, when the sun usually casts some awful-looking shadows on faces.

After everyone dispersed, John and I stayed to take some more pictures with Topher and Blake.  We had a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see them!  [I'll post a link as soon as I can!]

Then, we headed down to the "Fabulous LAS VEGAS" sign to take a couple pictures with our bridesmaids and groomsmen.  As a local, it's kind of unbelievable that I'd never done that before, but I'm SO glad we did for our wedding!

After all the pictures were done, most of us headed back to my house to rest and finish setting up the backyard for the reception.  IT LOOKED AMAZING!  Seriously, if you'd ever seen my backyard before, you might not have recognized it!  The lights and tables and decorations looked INCREDIBLE!  [Thank you to everyone who helped!  And especially my lovely aunts who were there Friday night AND all day Saturday to help get everything ready!!]

Rachel came back to touch-up my hair one last time before the reception started, and my friend Aubri was there to help me get into my dress!!  That lace-up back was tough work! 

Once John and I [and everyone else] were all spiffied up, we went outside to see the finished product.  And WOW.  I know I said it before, but the backyard looked amazing.  The food smelled delicious [I never did get a hotdog  :( sad day].  And everyone there was totally stylin'!!

It was a FANTASTIC day.  We were completely overwhelmed by all the people who came to show their love and support for us.  Especially all those who traveled so far!! 

Here are just a few pictures [via my Aunt Lori's facebook!] of the reception.  I PROMISE to post more as I get them  :)

that large cupcake-shaped thing in the center - ME!

we wrapped all the silverware in vintage-y looking handkerchiefs! they turned out SO cute. please ignore the dirt.


super simple centerpieces and ah-maz-ing lights.

coming soon:  the first week as Mr. and Mrs.!!  It was quite the adventure, let me tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment